Sunday, November 20, 2011

Already injured...

Damn, my body never seems to be able to follow my will... OK, perhaps going straight from 3 runs per week to 5 runs per week as part of my new training schedule was too much. Thankfully, the problem did not come from my right foot arch, but from my right foot tendon, which started to hurt on Wednesday this week. I was at a conference on Thursday and Friday so I could not run, and the tendon pain had almost completely disappeared by Saturday morning, so I decided to go for my long run, and guess what? The pain came back even stronger! So I have learned a lesson I had already read about but had not really believed until now: don't increase your running schedule by 2 days per week at once! I have read you should not increase it by more than one day per season (although it was not specified whether a season was 4 months or 6 months long). My friend Davy says it is useless to run more than 3 times per week, which would just wear you out. But other people say it is better to run frequent but shorter sessions than fewer but longer ones. I don't know who's right...

But I know 5 times per week is too much for me right now. So I'll wait one week for the tendonitis to disappear, then I'll try to find a training program with only 4 sessions per week (3 seems not enough to complete 35 miles). Frustrating...

No comments:

Post a Comment